8/11/2006

Robert Creeley

Love, if you love me,
lie next to me.
Be for me, like rain,
the getting out

of the tiredness, the fatuousness, the semi-
lust of intentional indifference.
Be wet
with a decent happiness

- The Rain, by Robert Creeley(1962)

Read the above in the Norton's Anthology of Postmodern American Poetry, where I learned that Creeley was born in Arlington, MA (the current place of abode for yours truly.) Then, I flipped the book to another random page and ran into a poet called Eileen Myles
, who apparently was born in Cambridge, MA (the current place of vocation for yours truly.) What a coincidence...randomly arrived at two pages this morning of poets born in this area. Divine sign that I should read/write poetry today... but alas... work beckons!

The coincidences continue. I read the following poem by Myles.. New England Wind, in which she writes about rain too!
the other night
under the eaves
in a rain at 4 o'clock
U woke up it was
so sexy;
Read more poems by Creeley and by Myles and if further interested, read these interviews with Creeley and Myles.

No comments: